Reentry codes are alphanumeric characters, found on the DD Form 214. RE Codes determine if Service Members can reenlist in the Army or transfer from another branch of service at a later time.
On the bottom section of the DD214, blocks 24, 26, and 27 provides the characterization of service, separation, and reenlistment code.
The character of service provides the type of discharge (honorable, other than honorable, bad conduct, or dishonorable). The separation code is a three-digit alphanumeric code which spells out the reason for discharge. Some individuals will require an RE Code Waiver in order to reenlist into the US Army.
US Army RE Codes
These Army Reenlistment codes are listed on DD Form 214 and determine if prior service applicants can reenlist into the Military. In general, those who receive an Army RE Code of “1” may reenlist in the Army or another service with no additional requirements. Individuals with an RE Code of “2” may reenlist with various restrictions. Individuals with an RE Code of “3” can normally reenlist but will require a waiver. Individuals with an RE Code of “4” are not eligible to reenlist in the Army, nor join another service.
Below, are the tables that explain what the different types of RE Codes mean. Tables can be found in Army Regulation 601-210.
If you require a waiver, visit this page for RE Code Waivers
US Army RE Code Definitions
RE-1 Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated. Fully qualified for enlistment.
- RE-1A Individuals with over 6 years of service for pay. Fully qualified for enlistment. Ineligible to reenlist for 93 days after date of separation.
- RE-1B Individuals who have not been tested to verify primary MOS during current term of service. Fully qualified for enlistment.
- RE-1C Individuals separated who do not possess scores of 90 or higher in any 3 or more aptitude areas of the ASVAB If tested prior to 1 Oct 1980, or scores of 85 or higher in any 3 or more aptitude areas of the ASVAB if tested on or after 1 Oct 80. Fully qualified for enlistment provided otherwise qualified.
RE-2 Individuals separated for the convenience of the Government in accordance with Chapter 5, AR 635-200, (Chapter 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12) and reenlistment is not contemplated. Fully qualified for enlistment
- RE-2A Individuals with over 6 years of service for pay who have incurred an
additional service requirement and who decline to meet the additional service
requirement through reenlistment or extension and were separated prior to 15 Aug
1977. Fully qualified for enlistment. Ineligible to reenlist in grade and for 93 days
after date of separation.
- RE-2B Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated. However, reenlistment not authorized at time of separation under enlisted year group management plan. Fully qualified for enlistment.
- RE-2C Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated. However,
reenlistment not authorized at time of separation under reenlistment control policy.
Civilian: fully qualified for enlistment.
RE-3 Individuals who are not qualified for continued Army service, but the
disqualification is waiverable. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted.
- RE-3A Section 1. Individuals who do not possess scores of or higher in any 3 or more aptitude areas of the AQB or the ACB. However, this code is o longer used for this disqualification. Fully qualified for enlistment if mental requirements of table 2-1 can be met. Prior service mental requirements are nonwaiverable. Waiver, if approved, is valid only for the purpose of providing continuous, unbroken service for RA in-service personnel. Section 2. Individuals with over 6 years of service or who have incurred an additional service requirement and who decline to meet the additional service
through reenlistment or extension and were separated on or after 15 Aug 1977. Fully qualified for enlistment. Waiver, if approved, is valid only for the purpose of providing continuous, unbroken service for RA in-service personnel.
- RE-3B Individuals who have time lost during their last period of service. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted. (paras 2-7 and 2-8a). Applicable to EM who have time lost during their last period of service.
- RE-3C Individuals who have completed over 4 months service who do not meet the pay grade requirements of Chapter 2), or who have been denied enlistment under Qualitative Screening Process pursuant to Chapter 4 AR 600-200. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted. Applicable to persons who have completed over 8 months service who do not meet the prior grade and service criterion of the Qualitative Management Program (AR 600-200 Chapter 4).
RE-4 Individuals separated from last period of service with a nonwaivable disqualification (refer to AR 601-280). Ineligible for enlistment except as provided for in paragraphs 2-7c and 2-7d. (See waiverable moral and administrative disqualifications.) Disqualification is nonwaivable.
- RE-4A Individuals who did not meet basic eligibility citizenship requirement ofChapter 2, AR 601-280, at the time of last separation from active duty. Ineligible for enlistment unless requirements of table 2-1 can be met. Citizenship requirements are nonwaivable. Applicable to EM who fail to meet citizenshipip requirements.
- RE-4R Individuals retiring after 20 or more years active Federal service (title 10, U.S. Code 3914 or 3917) Ineligible for enlistment.
US Navy RE Codes
US Air Force RE Codes
These Air Force Reenlistment codes are on DD form 214 and determine if a prior service Air Force applicant can reenlist into the Military. In general, those who receive an Air Force RE Code of “1” may reenlist with no problem. Individuals with an RE Code of “2” are usually ineligible to reenlist in the Air Force, but might be eligible to join another branch, if the circumstances which resulted in the code no longer apply, or if a waiver is issued. Individuals with an RE Code of “3” can normally reenlist in the Air Force or another Service, but will probably require a waiver to be processed. Individuals with an RE Code of “4” are normally not eligible to reenlist in the Air Force, nor join another service.
RE-1 May Reenlist
- RE-1A Ineligible to reenlist, but condition waived
- RE-1J Eligible to reenlist but elected to separate
- RE-1K Career airmen
- RE-1M Eligible to reenlist
- RE-1P Eligible to reenlist
- RE-1Q Eligible to reenlist
- RE-1R 1st term airmen selected for reenlistment
- RE-1T Eligible to reenlist ANG and WSAFR airmen serving involuntary or involuntary EAD
- RE-12 Recommended for reenlistment
- RE-13 Recommended for reenlistment
- RE-14 Recommended for reenlistment
RE -2 Ineligible to Reenlist into the US Air Force
- RE-2A HQ AFPC denied reenlistment oppo for quality reasons
- RE-2B Discharged under General or other than honorable conditions
- RE-2C Involuntary separation with Honorable discharge
- RE-2D Returned POW w/less 6 months active duty
- RE-2E Serving a period of probation and rehab
- RE-2F Undergoing or separated while undergoing rehab in a DoD regional confinement facility
- RE-2G Participating in Substance Abuse Reorientation and Treatment prog for drugs, or has failed to complete reorientation.
- RE-2HParticipating in Substance Abuse Reorientation and Treatment prog for alcohol, or has failed to complete reorientation
- RE-2I Non U.S. Citizen serving on initial enlistment
- RE-2J Under investigation by military or civilian authority which may result in discharge or court martial
- RE-2K Formally notified of involuntary separation
- RE-2L Civil court charges pending for offense the MCM authorizes confinement; or court martial charges preferred; or courtmartial conviction under appellate review
- RE-2M Serving sentence or suspended CM sentence; or separated while serving or
- suspended CM sentence
- RE-2N Religiouus conscientious objector preclude unrestricted assignment
- RE-2P AWOL; deserter dropped from rolls
- RE-2Q Medically retired or discharged
- RE-2R Airman within 23 months of 55th birthday; completed at least 18 years
- RE-2S Airman within 23 months of 55th birthday; completed at least 18 years
- RE-2T Possesses HYT date of at least 20 years; within 23 months of HYT date
- RE-2U HYT date of at least 20 years
- RE-2V Applied for retirement, or retirement approved
- RE-2W Retired and recalled to active duty
- RE-2X 1st term, 2nd term or career airman considered but not selected for reenlistment
RE-3 Requires Waiver for enlistment
- RE-3A 1st airman separating before 36 months; or 1st term, no prior svc; females learning of pregnancy prior to enlistment
- RE-3B 1st or 2nd term or career airman ineligible to reenlist, ineligibility condition no longer exists
- RE-3C 1st term airman not yet considered under SRP
- RE-3D 2nd term airman who refused to get PCS or TDY retainability
- RE-3E 2nd term or career airman who refused to get retainability for training or retraining or declined to attend PME
- RE-3I Airman selected for reenlistment, by HQ AFPC removed the airman’s name from the CJR waiting list within 5 months of DOS
- RE-3K Reserved for use by HQ AFPC or AFB for Correction of Mili Rcds when no other reenlistment eligibility code applies
- RE-3S Separated w/Special Sep Benefit
- RE-3V Separated w/Vol Sep Incentive
RE-4 Normally, ineligible for enlistment
- RE-4A Hardship or dependency discharge
- RE-4B Exceeding body fat standards discharge
- RE-4C Concealment of juvenile rcds; or minority, or failure to meet physical standards; or failure to obtain 9.0 reading gradeRE-4D SNR Airman or Sgt w at least 9 yrs TAFMS but fewer than 16 yrs
- RE-4D SNR Airman or Sgt w at least 9 yrs TAFMS but fewer than 16 yrs
- RE-4E A1C or below completed 31 or more months; 1st term airman; or A1C or below w
- RE-4F 5 or more days lost time. Waiver required for reenlistment
- RE-4G No AFSC skill level commensurate w/grade
- RE-4H Serving suspended punishment to Art 15
- RE-4I Serving on Control Roster
- RE-4J Entered in Phase I AF Weight Prog; or airman ineligible for period of Phase II
- RE-4K Medically disqualified for continued svc; or pending evaluation by MEB/PEB
- RE-4L Separated commissioning program
- RE-4M Breach of enlistment/reenlistment agreement
- RE-4N Convicted by civil authorities
US Marine Corps RE Codes